Reporting to:Head of Faculty-Commerce
The IIE (Pty) Ltd is the registered provider of higher education which is offered through the following educational brands: IIE Vega, IIE Varsity College, IIE Rosebank College and IIE MSA. The Independent Institute of Educations Central Academic Team (CAT) is responsible for the academic leadership and governance of the work done at the brands while each brand is managed as a business entity by its own divisional management team.
The IIE (Pty) Ltd is a wholly-owned subsidiary of AdvTech Ltd which is listed on the JSE.
This position fall within the central IIE academic team. The IIE, as registered provider has ultimate responsibility for registration, curriculum, delivery, assessment and certification of all education on these sites as well as for relationships with external partners particularly in the regulatory and accreditation arena.
The IIE currently operates through five faculties and has established academic operations, compliance and academic leadership infrastructure and processes. The faculty structure is currently being expanded.
To take responsibility for the Accounting and Finance disciplines in the faculty of Commerce under the leadership of the HoF. The role therefore includes managing the relevant Heads of Programmes (HOPs) and Cluster and Discipline leads in relation to the delivery of high quality, differentiated Accounting and Finance offerings. This person is responsible for the professional accreditation of the relevant offerings
To participate in the overall leadership and governance of the institution.
This position differs from the DHoF positions in other faculties because professional accreditation is a requirement in these disciplines and clear focus is required to maintain and grow our reputation and space accordingly
Key Performance Area:
Human Capital Management
- Monitors and quality assures the work of faculty members (SHOPs and HOPs) based at CAT or who have programme leadership functions for The IIE although they are based in the brands.
- Direct management of the faculty members employed in CAT in these disciplines, , including the resolution of queries and completion of workflows.
- Draw up a suitable development plans in consultation with the relevant faculty team and HOF, ensuring that resources are appropriately utilised.
- Supports the development of the skills and capacity of the faculty members and promotes the individual development of each member of the team. Monitors and supports the development of skills and capacity on the campuses in these disciplines.
- Ensures that deadlines are met for all aspects of the successful delivery of Accounting and Finance modules and qualifications.
- Identify, resolve and monitor risks, challenges, problems and issues related to the functioning of the faculty and escalate to the HOF as required.
- Ensures that members of the team develop and maintain strong collaborative relationships with campus and brand academics and with each
- Initiates and drives interactions with professional bodies including but not limited to SAICA.
- Ensures that the work in the relevant areas and the engagement with the professional bodies is coordinated with the work of the Director, the Registrar, the General Manager and the Heads of School or equivalent within the IIE brands.
- Participate in the creating of a network of productive, collaborative relationships with the lead academics at all brands so as to jointly support and drive faculty and institute strategy.
- Support the HOF in ensuring that the central faculty academics render an effective and efficient collaborative service to the brands.
- Contributes to the overall quality assurance processes of The IIE which includes academic governance, innovative pedagogy (teaching approach or methodology) and the use of technology to support learning.
- Takes responsibility for the Quality Assurance of the work done by the faculty (material, assessments and decisions) and intervenes as needed.
- Ensures that the appropriate development is given to members of the faculty team and/or other developers.
- Works collaboratively with other members of senior management at CAT and in brands to promote quality output from the faculty.
- Monitors student performance of individual modules and qualifications and intervenes as needed in collaboration with the relevant people.
- Makes decisions, in accordance with the authority and regulatory frameworks, about improvements and development on modules or qualifications and consults and communicates accordingly.
- In collaboration with the HOF, makes and monitors academic decisions in relation to material, resources, curriculum, staffing and all associated interventions within the context of the authority and regulatory and governance system.
- Participates and supports the faculty team in module and qualification review and then implements the agreed outcomes.
- Ensures an appropriate ongoing collaboration between the heads of programme, subject matter experts and developers.
- Support and manage the process of evaluation and development of portfolio of qualifications in the faculty in co-operation with the HOF, brands and IIE R&D office.
- Evaluates existing portfolio and makes recommendations
- Participates in strategic planning for IIE Central Academic Team and the brands as required.
- Make recommendations to improve processes and systems where required.
- Networks with industry, professional bodies, stakeholders and other higher education providers as required and in support of The IIE strategy.
- Analyses, reports and develops responses to brand results, programme evaluations, marketing feedback, changes in the environment.
- Supports the faculty participation and responsibility in programme development and review.
- Support the development of a research profile for the faculty including leading and mentoring the research activities of faculty members.
- Assists and mentors academic team members with further studies.
- Oversees compliance with policies, legislative frameworks and company governance structures by the academic team, brands, and lecturers.
- Participates in policy development and review.
- Participates in Programme Coordination Committees are undertaken by the relevant faculty members and that input is acted on.
- Contributes to and guide the HOPs in the development of items for governance meetings and ensures implementation of the outcomes.
- Participates in other governance structures such as the Faculty Board, Teaching & Learning and Senate.
The incumbent must be a registered CA(SA) and hold a Masters Degree (NQF Level 9) in a Finance, Accounting, Commerce or Education discipline. A PhD or progress towards obtaining a PhD would be an advantage.
A minimum of 5 years experience in higher education with preferably at least 3 in a supervisory, senior or management position.
Physical Job Requirements:
- Advanced professional standing including appropriate networks and professional relationships
- Advanced communication written and verbal
- Demonstrated track record of ability to promote collegial working relationships including acknowledged interpersonal and conflict resolution skills
- Human capital management
- Project management
- Planning and time management
- Educational (pedagogy)
- Ability to assess and make consistent decisions assertively
- Tenacity seeing things through
- Balance demonstrating patience and moderation of action and emotion
- Integrity quality of decisions seen to take ethics and policy and context into consideration