Reporting to:HR Manager
The IIE (Pty) Ltd is the registered provider of higher education which is offered through the following educational brands: Vega, Varsity College, Rosebank College, and IIEMSA. The Independent Institute of Education's Central Academic Team (CAT) is responsible for the academic leadership and governance of the work done at the brands while each brand is managed as a business entity by its divisional management team.
This position is within the central IIE academic team. The IIE, as the registered provider has ultimate responsibility for registration, curriculum, delivery, assessment, and certification of all education on these sites as well as for relationships with external partners particularly in the regulatory and accreditation arena.
The IIE currently operates through five faculties and has established academic operations, compliance, and academic leadership infrastructure and processes
Under the supervision of the HR Manager, the HR Officer is responsible for delegated tasks associated with the recruitment, appointment, induction, retention and termination of staff and independent contractors and with specific administrative elements associated with the role.
Key Performance Area:
Permanent and Independent Contractors Payroll
- Creates a monthly permanent payroll checklist for the HR Manager in order to assist the HR Manager with signing off the permanent payroll authorisation reports in line with payroll timelines.
- Upload all approvals of ATAs on APS (ADvTalent Peoples Solutions) for approval on any budgeted vacancies positions that have been filled.
- Upload all approvals of OFs on APS (ADvTalent Peoples Solutions) for approval as and when requested.
- Compile the required letters and documentation for current employee promotions or changes in designation after receiving the relevant approval notification for job grades C and below.
- Prepare contracts for new employees job grades C and below after the ATA have been approved on APS.
- Ensure that the needed org positions are available (both permanent and Independent Contractors) on the compliment for use and request new org posts as and when required.
- Ensure that the CAT and Schools compliment is maintained and updated on a monthly basis while correcting any errors where needed.
- Manage the processing of all P4s once all relevant approvals have been gained.
- Oversee the foreign national approval and tracking for all permanent, fixed term and IC staff (i.e. permit expiry dates etc.).
- Follow termination procedures should a staff member resign, be dismissed or retire and ensures that the termination pack of forms is completed and checked to ensure that all documents are completed correctly in line with audit requirements before submitting for processing within payroll deadlines.
- Check that the permanent P18 payroll reports are correct on a monthly basis along with the HR Manager and that all input submitted for the month is reflected on the report. Ensure that the P18 form is signed with the HR Manager within the mandated payroll timelines.
- Check that the Independent Contractor P18 payroll reports are correct on a monthly basis along with the Operations Manager and that all claims are reflected on the report. Ensure that the P18 form is signed by the Operations Manager within the mandated payroll timelines.
- Upload ATRs on APS (ADvTalent Peoples Solutions) for approval on any budgeted vacancies.
- Liaising with agencies in regards to candidates, screening and shortlisting of CV's for job grades C and below.
- Conduct interviews with line managers and draw up needed salary comparisons for final candidates
Administration and Support of Permanent and Independent Contractor staff
- Advises employees on leave queries and the applications process in line with the company leave policies.
- Advising employees on Human Resources policies and procedures and guiding them on the forms that support these policies and procedures.
- Responsible for the overall quality control of all Human Resources / Payroll related documentation and procedures in line with the company policies and audit requirements.
- Ensure that all Performance Reviews scores within the CAT is submitted within the mandated timeframes.
- Once increases and bonuses are approved, do increase letters and check them with HR Manager and ensure correct payroll processing of increases as followed - such as ensuring that special provisions are not overridden when increases are actioned.
- Maintain and manage password database received from GTC in regard to accessing staff provident fund details.
- Ensure that claim deadlines are communicated to Independent Contractors on a monthly basis and well in advance - provide this information to operations team for their Independent Contractors by the 17th of every month for the next month.
- Compile monthly reports on employment equity, staff movement, turnover ect.
- Compile and send monthly staff updates to CAT Director of any staff changes for announcements.
- Submit all medical aid details to Discovery for all new starters who take up medical aid.
Filing and Data Recording
Conduct internal audit checks every 3 months on all staff and Independent Contractors files in line with audit requirements and submit audit report to HR manager within 2 weeks of audit being completed so that there is no group audit risk
Degree in Human Resource Management / Industrial psychology
- 5+ years working experience in HR Officer or similar role.
- Must have prior experience in a generalist function.
Physical Job Requirements:
- Excellent communication skills particularly in English, both verbal and written, including the ability to communicate to a range of audiences in a way that communication is clear, concise, specific and accurate and accessible to the target audience;
- Interpersonal skills characterised by tact and diplomacy and an ongoing ability to participate effectively in a team;
- Capacity to get others to follow by example and the ability to manage matrix management and communication structures;
- High delivery ability, demonstrated capacity to organise own work and work against tight deadlines;
- Attention to detail;
- Proven ability to work constructively as part of a team, display initiative and work strategically and independently with limited supervision;
- Proven record of managing projects to a successful conclusion;
- Able to acquire new skills to keep up with new technologies and or new knowledge areas within relevant disciplines.