Reporting to:IIE Systems and Innovations Manager
The Business Intelligence and Data Manager is the Business Intelligence Architect responsible for Data Migrations and Data Modelling (Engineering), Data Integration (ETL), Data Analytics (Data Science) and Data Visualization (Enterprise Reporting).
The Business Intelligence (BI) and Data Manager is responsible for the data migration; data reporting and Business Intelligence capabilities for all systems managed by ITSU which is the systems unit responsible for tertiary and schools academic systems. In this regard the incumbent leads and manages a team of analysts or developers who facilitate business intelligence solutions as well as for the teams responsible for data movement and storage in the associated systems.
As such, the person is responsible for information system (MIS) improvements and standardized procedures for delivering decision support systems including recommendations on suitable data processing applications and software.
In managing Business Intelligence service delivery for the education divisions the person works with the full support and cooperation with other members of the ITSU (integrated systems unit) team and business managers to ensure integrity of application data to support business needs and Business Intelligence and MIS strategy and implementation.
The Business Intelligence and Data Manager is responsible for the management of the Development (Operations) team. These resources estimate and carry out the development, unit testing, technical documentation of these related applications. The Business Intelligence and Data Manager ensures that the related applications development work is planned and monitored and that results are delivered to time, budget, and quality standards.
The role also requires collaboration with others and therefore there will be supervisory and influence responsibility over others including but not limited to vendors, business analysts and technical specialists and those in the brands responsible for the use of systems.
Key Performance Area:
- Technical leadership
The Business Intelligence and Data Manager is responsible for providing technical leadership. This includes responsibility for the quality assurance review of data development projects and the evaluation and documentation of team procedures. The Business Intelligence and Data Manager is also be responsible for functional specifications and system design and thus advanced programming where required. The Business Intelligence and Data Manager identifies, evaluates, and resolves the complex technical problems on all MIS systems and associated applications.
- Use best practise models for development through the solution life cycle, which includes the design, build, test, implementation, and validation of the overall solution.
- Evaluate solutions on an ongoing basis against stakeholder needs and the business case.
The following are required technically:
Data Migrations and Modelling and Data Engineering
- Design stable, reliable and effective databases.
- Optimize and maintain legacy systems. Modify databases according to requests and perform tests. Solve database usage issues and malfunctions where applicable.
- Liaise with application developers to improve applications and establish best practices. Gather user requirements and identify new features and improvements needed.
- Develop necessary technical and training documentation on demand.
- Provide data management support to users on demand and ensure all database programs meet ADvTECH and IIE quality and performance requirements.
- Research and suggest new database products, services, and protocols.
- Develop detailed and thorough knowledge of database schema, database operations and database communication layers; Design large scale solutions with database technology as needed.
- Develop a thorough and detailed understanding of the relational database platforms, with a focus on performance analysis, query optimization operations, appropriate SQL syntax and database internals.
- Perform independent database performance analysis with a focus on SQL query efficiency and schema design; apply tools and utilities to identify integrity or performance issues.
- Review database schema changes and generate queries as needed, assist and mentor less experienced individuals with schema and query reviews.
- Work with teams to enforce database standards; aid in design and research of new database standards as needed.
ETL and Data Integration
- Designs and builds relational databases to support our current data integration Packages and Solutions.
- Works with application developers to ensure end user and application data requirements are fulfilled.
- Develops strategies for data acquisitions, archive recovery and implementation of a database.
- Identifies data sources, constructs data decomposition diagrams, provides data flow diagrams and documents the process.
- Performs integration of new systems into the IIE and ADvTECH network and Identify potential issues and opportunities prior to implementation.
- Writes code for database access, modifications and constructions including stored procedures.
- Maintains the databases regularly and automate the maintenance processes.
- Develop and coordinate system integration processes with internal departments and outside vendors.
- Comply with application integration policies, standards, documentation, and procedures.
- Work with various teams in ADvTECH to ensure that design and business objectives are achieved within the system development process.
- Evaluates existing systems and/or user needs to analyse, design, recommend and implement system changes.
- Ensures optimal performance, reliability, and integrity of the database/system through a variety of techniques and procedures.
OLAP Cube and Data Science
- Designing and implementing OLAP Cubes (Multi-dimensional Model) to meet business requirements for ADvTECH, IIE and The Brands.
- Designing and implementing OLAP (Tabular Model) to meet business requirements for ADvTECH, IIE and The Brands.
- Translate business measures into data algorithms and models.
- Design and implement data analytics Key Performance Indicators (KPI) that are aligned to business measures and analytics.
- Investigate facts and measures that are relevant for the data challenges in the Institution and the brands.
- Build OLAP cubes that supports data analytics road map for the institution and strives to achieve descriptive analytics, predictive analytics, and prescriptive analytics.
- Integrate statistical models to build comprehensive analytical algorithms to support complex business data questions.
- Work with business teams to gather their analytical needs and develop business analytics models and data mining solutions in SSAS and other related tools.
- Ensure that OLAP cubes complies with data visualization or presentation to meet business requirements.
- Work with data integration developers to define OLAP requirements for analytics.
- Provide data analytics and analysis architectural leadership and guidance to ensure that new initiatives enable effective data analytics.
Dashboard and Enterprise Reporting
- Responsible for developing stored procedures and reports that meet customer and brands requirements for all our applications.
- Suggesting and implementing procedural enhancements and code optimizations.
- Make prompt, technically sound decisions and recommendations that adds value to business priorities and needs.
- Develop and maintain Power BI dashboards and SSRS Reports, and schedule, distribute, and run reports.
- Develop new Power BI visualizations based on the business requirements.
- Prepare and review necessary dashboard specifications and design documents.
- Work with business teams to gather their reporting needs and develop interactive reports and effective visuals in Power BI and SSRS.
- Escalating issues in a timely manner and suggesting improvements.
2. Project Management
The Business Intelligence and Data Manager is responsible for directing BI and data management projects to conclusion including but not limited to data migration, data reporting and BI capabilities.
This area includes the following responsibilities:
- Ensures that project/department milestones/goals are met and adhering to approved budgets.
3. System design and implementation
The Business Intelligence and Data Manager is responsible for leading the strategic design, development, and maintenance of business intelligence applications. The Business Intelligence and Data Manager ensures that the use of business intelligence applications enhances business decision making capabilities and is responsible for ensuring user needs are met through needs analysis and training and support.
The responsibilities are:
- Support business effectiveness and efficiency by providing BI solutions that enable business decision making.
- Analyse data generated and propose ways to improve operational efficiency.
- Develop a Business Intelligence (BI) Service Culture which seeks to support the business and enables others to provide exceptional client service by making information and data easily available to answer key business questions.
- Cultivate and manage performance directed relationships with a variety of stakeholders, including end-users, Brands and CAT Managers, project managers and senior staff members to ensure uptake and ongoing usefulness of BI tools.
- Collaborate with stakeholders in developing solutions to ensure that there is buy in and acceptance.
- Provide input to vendor management and assist in resolving any disputes.
- Bachelors' degree in (Information Systems, Informatics, Computer Size or Information Technology) - NQF 7 (6) Or National Diploma / Diploma in Software Development /IT- NQF 6 (5)
- An appropriate postgraduate qualification and professional certifications are an added advantage.
- Experience of at least 4-8 years, in a development environment with information and business intelligence experience
- 5+ years core business intelligence development experience
- 3+ years technical team leadership or management experience
- Microsoft BI Stack (SSRS, SSIS, SSAS, Power BI)
- Experience with Azure or Hadoop for large data sets strongly desired
- SQL Server 2016 experience advantageous
- Education industry experience strongly preferred
- Regulatory knowledge related to the management of personal information and electronic communication is required.
- Experience in database architecture & design, agile development technique and full systems development life cycle.
- Strong Data Warehousing experience spanning conceptual & logical modelling, defining dimensional data marts adopting commonly acceptable principles, defining user security around data access.
- Experience in dealing with complex business data (e.g. Customer, educational products, instruments, risk and regulatory data) and data formats viz. csv, flat files, xml, excel, etc.
- Understanding of Kimball methodologies and architecture
- Hands on ETL development experience, covering data capture, transport, integration, performance, maintainability, re-usability, error handling, meta-data, aggregation etc.
- Data Architecture track in complex data projects, preferably in Education or Professional Service or Regulatory environment.
- Large scale database applications
- Agile practice and application life cycle management.
- Implement best practices in BI development and delivery, including and not restricted to, documentation, coding standards, naming conventions, version controls, regression testing, data dictionary & data flow mappings
- Working on Azure Development for BI/DW/Analytics
- Azure Data Services
- Azure SQL Database
- Azure Data Factory
- Azure Stream Analytics
- Azure Data Catalogue
- Azure Data Warehouse
- Azure Data Lake
- Information architecture framework
- Working with structure and unstructured Big Data
- Expertise in the overall design of systems and understanding of business needs and business process mapping.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and oral communication skills with the ability to liaise with technical teams and Senior Management in the Institution
Physical Job Requirements: