Reporting to:General Manager
The appointment is at the senior management level. The Operations Manager works directly with senior staff in the brands and head office functions and all teams in CAT.
The exact nature of the responsibilities will vary from time to time according to the needs of the IIE. The incumbent must be capable of running all CAT operations and interfaces using human resources and technology based systems, solutions and processes.
Key Performance Area:
There are four key areas of responsibility in this role:
- Effective running, leadership and development of academic operations: Manage operations to deliver projects (academic and operational) to meet the required outcomes. Take leadership role in the improvement of systems, policies and processes that will enable more effective and efficient delivery in this area.
- Stakeholder and Asset Management: Manage relationships with brands formally and informally to support their success and our effective delivery. Engage with internal and external stakeholders as required to achieve this. Manage IT and office assets. Manage space.
- Tracking and Information Management: Full responsibility for tracking systems and processes including appropriate escalations for identified risks.
- Administration and Governance: Participation in formal governance structures as required. Ensuring those on team provide accurate information on time to enable governance and internal and external compliance. Ensure policy compliance.
- Responsible for all operational aspects associated with the delivery of programme material, assessment and moderation
- Participation in the key governance structures and committees as may be required from time to time
Other IIE operations
- Responsible for the delivery of other operational tasks and projects as delegated to the IIE Operations team
- Ensure that Student Hub provides accurate, effective and efficient service. Monitor and resolve escalations.
- Assist with the development, implementation, monitoring and refining of administration systems that will support the above
- Liaison with the tertiary IIE brands to ensure effective delivery
- Development and Training of team members
- Office management: IT assets, workspace etc
- Contribute to budget setting and control
Preferably a Postgraduate qualification but at least an initial qualification at degree level.
Not all of these are required, but will be preferable, the total skill set will be considered:
- Normally, at least five year's experience in an academic administration environment preferably at a higher education provider
- Middle Management experience with a span of control of at least 6 people directly reporting with second line reports of at least 20 would be preferable.
- Experience within a matrix management system (having to exercise leadership over people who report to other line managers)
- Operations experience in a multi-site context.
- Familiarity with The IIE and the tertiary division of AdvTech.
Physical Job Requirements:
- Excellent communication skills particularly in English, both verbal and written, including the ability to communicate with a range of audiences in a way that is clear, concise, specific and accurate and accessible to the target audience
- Computer literacy at the level where independent work on programmes such as excel is possible and where the person is able to assist with the assessment of IT solutions to administrative challenges (IT support will be provided)
- Leadership, management and administration
- Conflict resolution, mediation and cooperative communication skills
- Interpersonal skills characterised by tact and diplomacy and an ongoing ability to participate effectively in a team that is spread across the country
- Capacity to get others to follow by example and the ability to manage matrix management and communication structures
- Attention to detail
- Proven ability to work constructively as part of a team, display initiative and work strategically and independently with limited supervision
- Proven record of managing projects to a successful conclusion delivery against deadlines
- Able to acquire new skills to keep up with new technologies and or new knowledge areas within relevant disciplines
- Understanding of the regulatory environment in which the IIE operates (CHE, SAQA, DHET) would be an advantage
Travel and work outside of normal hours will be required for which, given the level of seniority of the post, no overtime payment will be made.